Thursday, December 1, 2011

26w4d: We bought our cribs

They still have to come in to the store...but yeah. This is our first baby purchase--haven't bought so much as a Jazz onesie (which, thank goodness, the NBA will continue to entertain our family!).

I think we might actually get babies out of this, so time to prepare.

Maybe I should buy a parenting book? Then again, given the intense hatred I felt towards every twin pregnancy book I glanced at (and most pregnancy books period...), maybe we should just wing it. I know the suck, swaddle, swing, shhhh thing--any other fundamental parenting skills out there?

5 comments:

Krista said...

The multiples book I was reading scared the shi* out of me, so I stopped reading. I'm almost thinking of winging it too!

Sarah said...

I have 4 four pregnancy books stacked on my coffee table. The first one scared the crap out of me. So the rest of the books have not and probably will not be touched. Yay for cribs! Very exciting :)

Guinevere said...

I really like the Baby 411 book, because it's a good reference and filled with pretty no-nonsense factual content with references, and has spared us a lot of calls to the doctor (and trying to wade through google results trying to cull the nonsense from the sense). Toddler 411 is also good. I recommend leafing through both of them NOW while you still have time. :) Other than that, I totally agree with you on the general uselessness of parenting books. You will become very quickly the expert on parenting your particular children.

Chickenpig said...

I agree with you. You have to learn by doing. And your twins will be different than everybody else's :) That being said, I worked in daycare with infants, six of them at a time, and I learned a lot of stuff very quickly. If you haven't handled newborns very much, it is good to get some practice in because when two babies are crying at you...it's hard. I actually bought a life size doll and my husband and I practiced holding it, changing and dressing, sponge bathing, putting it in the carrier...etc etc etc. It was also useful in setting the car seat straps to the right size and stuff. By the time the twins came, we had the basics down so that we could take on the other stuff.

Presto3 said...

I suggest a book about sleep - it was the hardest part of babyhood to me. I had a couple books which indicated how often, how many naps, etc. babies should take by age. It was invaluable to me, because I discovered that a lot of the crying was due to being overtired (on the baby's part, which led to the crying on my part - lol). My kids are good sleepers, and I attribute that to being educated and getting them into good habits as babies.