Wednesday, October 19, 2011

20w4d: No baby swapping

Chickenpig pointed out that twins can move, and A isn't always A. This is true.

In our case, though, we're almost 100% sure they haven't. One of our babies has always been measuring 4-7 days behind. The other one has been right on track or 1-2 days ahead. The littler baby has always been in the A spot. So either our boys have some sort of pact where one of them slows growth while the other one doubles it, AND they swap places, they haven't budged. Also, the placental locations are set. They don't actually move. The uterus grows, so their relative position on the wall can shift (hence why Atticus's placenta may have cleared my cervix by this coming Monday), but they're not swapping anterior and posterior, or high and low. And given the frequency of my scans, I'm pretty dang sure we'll know if Atticus has climbed the ladder or Damien took a chute.

By the way, I had a nightmare last night that I was doing IVF again. (My boys were nowhere in the picture, but I didn't feel like I'd lost them either.) I hate IVF. My sympathies go out to all those who are still cycling. :(

2 comments:

JustHeather said...

Sorry for your scary dream! I truly hate nightmares. I would say I hate IVF too, but it might be the only to get me pregnant. :( Round #3 is coming up soon for us.

Chickenpig said...

Oh, no! I hate the nightmares. Nightmares be gone!

My boys didn't swap until 36 weeks. If it happens to you, you'll know it! You won't be able to miss it. You would think that there isn't a bit of room in there for them to pull those kind of acrobatics, but apparently, they can. :) In any case, if/when one of them..or both..moves to the headfirst position YOU'LL know who it is, even if no one else does.