Ok, so after writing that blog entry and having a nice evening, I started spotting. Of course.
My laissez-faire attitude went right out the fucking window as I called, in short-order: my clinic, the pharmacy, and my doctor-sister.
It was, of course, 11 pm. I left messages with the clinic, ("Hi, I'm pregnant, I know it's early, but I'm spotting and I cannot lose this baby. I would like to come in for progesterone and estrogen checks. Please call me back."), the pharmacy, ("Hello, this is [me], born [here], phone [this], I need a refill on my estradiol, I'm on a generic for estrace, at 1 mg pills with 3 in the morning and 3 at night, once again, this is [me]..."), and talked to my sister, ("Hi, I'm pregnant but I'm spotting and this CANNOT HAPPEN. Please, what can I do?")
My sister put me on pelvic rest, making me feel like a cheap whore for having sex in the first place. She mentioned that 30% of perfectly normal pregnancies have spotting or bleeding in the first trimester. She told me I could be very, very fine. She told me not to put anything besides the Crinone into my vagina. She didn't think I should go on alpha-blockers (what? I learned in school we have alpha-1 receptors in our uterus, especially when pregnant!) or any other muscle relaxant. She thought supplementing e2 was probably unnecessary. She thought if I was going to lose it, I'd lose it regardless.
So of course, I swallowed a handful of estrogen. I do not recommend you do as I do, but I've been known to have pretty low e2 levels. And I know low e2 can cause bleeding, and I did a fresh cycle so who knows what my ovaries are doing anyway?
This morning, the spotting had stopped. (I credit the e2 and extra Crinone I shoved up there.) My clinic called me and said they'd do a beta and a p4, but not an e2. (Which is fine, I'll just keep supplementing away, and yes, I'll tell them that.)
They just called with my levels:
Beta=106 at 13DPO
p4=9.6
I'm increasing my progesterone, opted out of a repeat beta (they won't make me, since all they want is a level of 100+ at 17DPO, and I'm already there), and scheduled an ultrasound for July 5th.
So...can I relax again? Please?
9 comments:
Yes, you can and should relax again!
Spotting is so normal that both my doctor grandparents (who didn't particularly agree on much) referred to it as the rule rather than the exception for healthy pregnancies. And if you'd like more anecdotal support, I had spotting with this pregnancy (23 weeks and doing well) but none with my two miscarriages, and my wife also had spotting with her pregnancy (now a happy toddler). I really don't think spotting has much of a bearing on anything at all, besides scaring the daylights out of you.
E2 and progesterone check is a good idea, because ovaries do funny things in IVF cycles. I do think it's worth being aware of what it is that you're supplementing because crazy high estrogen or progesterone levels might not be ideal either, though definitely better than ones that are too low to support pregnancy.
Anyway, that is a great, strong beta!
Relax and hang in there, girl! The signs of any spotting is so stressful and nervewracking for those of us who experienced recurrent losses, but like Guinevere said, I also know of many people who have had spotting, especially early on in their pregnancies, who have gone on to have beautiful babies.
Yes, I'm writing you a prescription for relaxation. To be taken all day everyday for the next 9 mths :) Impossible right? So glad the spotting stopped and things are back under control. ps. tell the hubs I said to " Get the ginger." :)
I hope you can relax, spotting is very scary. I am hoping everything turns out just fine!
Your clinic should probably up your progesterone.. Most clinics like your P4 to be atleast 20 on suppository progesterone, 30 on PIO.. Im with you on shoving extra crinone up the hooha! If it's low that will cause spotting so good on you for being proactive! Will say a prayer for ya, but you have it under control! HUGS!
I hope you find a special relaxation recipe to get you through til the 5th. I'm super thrilled for you though!
Holy shit I remember that stress. Telling you that you have to relax is probably going to make you want to smack me so I'll say keep busy, you did nothing wrong, rub your belly, and tell those embies to stick in there good!!
Not that it will make you feel any safer, but my RE assured me that 99% of his IVF patients have some spotting/bleeding. I had spotting that started at 6weeks, and a bleeding episode at 7 weeks that continued with spotting until after 8 weeks. It is so upsetting, and totally not fair that we have to endure this additional stress. The progesterone supposedly is irritating to your cervix. After my bleeding, I was put on restricted activity and spent a lot of time on the couch with my feet up and a glass of water by my side.
BTW- my RE ordered pelvic rest for the full 12 weeks! It was harrowing, but we made it through.
Hang in there Marissa.
I'm glad the spotting stopped. I have had three pregnancies. The firs one involved minimal spotting and a miscarriage. The second was major full-on gushing at points, and some kind of spotting or bleeding until 13 weeks, and that pregnancy resulted in my seven year old daughter. But I remember the doctor telling me it all looked good the second time, and not believing him. After a miscarriage, pregnancy is really stressful. The third also included spotting, less than the second, and that pregnancy is now my 5 year old daughter. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
Post a Comment