Wednesday, December 28, 2011

30w3d: Goldilocks and the Three Birth-weights

So I just got back from my ultrasound and the new/old/evil MFM place.

Atticus is estimated at 2 lbs 11 oz, and is in the 20th percentile.

Damien is estimated at 3 lbs 15 oz, and is "almost" in the 60th percentile.

The tech gave me this news and vanished, leaving me to wait 20 minutes (exactly) for the doctor to come in and discuss things. I spent those 20 minutes trying to figure out if 2lbs 11 oz was enough, or if we'd be getting another "well, you'll deliver early with this small of a baby, don't want to risk..." talk.

In walks the doctor, who re-scans my babies, and then puts on her very serious voice.

One of my babies, she says, is doing just fine. The other, we're concerned about. He's getting a bit big.

Excuse me? A bit big?

Despite the fact that the bulging folder containing my chart has TWINS--SEVERE IUGR written on it in red (with the "SEVERE" crossed out), Atticus is now fine and Damien is problematic.

Apparently, at about 30 weeks, twins are supposed to slow down. They're supposed to each be in about the 35th percentile. No one gave my boys this message, and they're both growing along the exact same curves that they were last time (when Atticus was little and Damien was perfect). At this rate, if I make it to 38 weeks, Damien will be about 7 pounds.

Well, color me unconcerned. I mean, I get that twins are usually small, but...7 pounds is not something I'm going to freak out about, especially if his brother manages to get above the magical 5.5 pounds. And the "problem" is not that Damien is fat. His femur is his biggest measurement, followed by his head. All of my mom's babies, including me, were almost 8 pounds at birth. We don't know my husband's birth weight, but he's 6'3", so...growing an "average but big for a twin" baby is, frankly, not high on my doomsday freakout list. Especially since it's not like he was always small and has now shot up in size--he just failed to notice that, since he's got a wombmate, he's supposed to start slowing down.

I think it's funny that my next appointment (in 3 weeks) is prompted not out of concern for a small baby (I was really hoping he'd make it to 3 lbs), but the big huge (well, ok, average) baby hanging out on top.

And in related news, Damien is head down and Atticus is transverse. Seriously, babies? Both head down. Do it!

5 comments:

  1. That's what I was thinking when I read that...who gives a crap if D is 7 pounds? Sounds fine to me. Although I dont understand all the medical mumbo jumbo. But I don't see why it would be such a problem. I mean I guess if BOTH babies were big, then maybe? But they seem fine to me. BTW- can you believe your on your way to 31 weeks? :) That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, that seems strange to me. I'm only 4 days farther along than you, and at our growth scan today, our babies' weights were estimated at 4 lbs 4 oz and 4 lbs 8 oz.

    If I were you, I wouldn't be concerned about that either. Seems like the growth curves would be more significant than their actual (estimated) weights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like those babies are growing away just fine!! You would think that D being bigger wouldn't be cause for concern.

    I hope you are travelling well. I can't believe you are past the 30 week mark!! So exciting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My twins were 7 lbs 1 oz and 6 lbs 9 oz. The largest twins on record were 11 lbs each. I don't see how it is a problem as long as both babies are healthy and you're doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *big grin* sounds like they both are being typical little boys before they even leave the womb. Grow, boys, grow! (Ok, maybe not too much. heheh)

    ReplyDelete